The Department of Chemical Engineering
The Penn State Department of Chemical Engineering, established in 1948, is recognized as one of the largest and most influential chemical engineering departments in the nation, ranking among the top ten of its kind in several key metrics and sixteenth overall. Award-winning faculty members are at the cutting edge in some of the today’s most exciting research areas including; nanostructured materials, renewable energy and fuels, and cellular and metabolic engineering.
Looking ahead, the department aspires to new heights of excellence, and doing so means successfully competing for faculty and students with the country’s most elite institutions. In such an environment, the quality of a department’s facilities—even their very appearance—can have a major impact on recruitment and retention.
The new chemical engineering and biomedical engineering facility, both modern and highly collaborative, will provide an ideal environment for our students, who will have more opportunities for innovative research that will challenge their thinking and broaden their skills.
- Year Established: 1948
- Department Head: Dr. Phillip Savage, Walter L. Robb Family Endowed Chair of Chemical Engineering
- Current Location: Fenske Laboratory
- Undergraduate Student Enrollment (2015-2016): 408
- Graduate Student Enrollment (2015-2016): 117
- Total Research Expenditures (FY 2014-2015): $10,057,642 *Research expenditures include subcontracts and internally funded projects.